I love 비빔밥 - Bi-bim-bap. It's a traditional Korean dish where the items in a bowl are served to the customer, and the customer then takes a Korean spoon and mixes it all together.

The verb 비비다 (to mix) attaches to the noun (rice/food) to make the name:

비비다 + 밥 = 비빔밥

Now please don't answer saying "비비다 means to mix". That's not the question - that's the background to the question.

Outside of 비빔밥 what uses of the 동작동사 비비다 might be heard or read?

• 요새는 유행어로도 씁니당. "어제 저그로 테란한테 비벼봤는데 역시 이기긴 힘들더라." 이런식으로 – James Dec 14 '17 at 7:33
  • @James please add that as an answer and expound upon the meaning a bit more. – 제이 죤스톤 Dec 14 '17 at 14:46

I've mostly heard 비비다 used for food and for body parts:

밥 비벼 주세요! - Please mix my rice [with the sauce] - note this doesn't have to be 비빔밥, but any sauce; my children ask for it with 불고기 sauce.

눈을 비비다 - to rub your eyes

눈 비비지 마! - Don't rub your eyes!

손을 비비다 - to rub your hands

as an aside, i asked my wife to hurry home so we could eat 비빔밥, so i was all like 비비자 which i meant in terms of making some 비빔밥, but she giggled and said 밥을 비벼 아니면 나와 너 비벼? – 제이 죤스톤 Dec 12 '17 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.