As football, baseball, and basketball are all relatively modern things, I might have expected their Korean terms to be transliterations of foreign terms (in the same way that the words 'taxi', 'computer', 'coffee', and so on have come into Korean). I find it intriguing that the common terms for these sports are the Hanja-rooted words '축구','야구', and '농구'.

How did these terms enter the Korean language?

• I'm asking about these terms together as I expect there might be some similarities in the explanations - but happy to split into separate questions. – topo Reinstate Monica Oct 31 '17 at 2:21
  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – user17915 Nov 1 '17 at 8:40

They're Wasei-Kango words imported from Japan during the Japanese colonial occupation of Korea:

• 蹴球 - Literally kick-ball (not football, which would be 足球/족구), from Japanese 蹴球/しゅうきゅう
  • 野球 - Literally field-ball, from Japanese 野球/やきゅう

• 籠球 - Literally basket-ball, from Japanese 籠球/ろうきゅう

Interestingly, Japanese only retains the Kanji word 野球 out of the three; the other two have become English transliterations of soccer and basketball.

| improve this answer | |

football: foot is 축 in Hanja. and ball is 구in hanja.
baseball:baseball is a ball played in field. and field is 야 in hanja. and ball is 구in hanja.
basketball:basket is similar to box and box is 농 in hanja. and ball is 구in hanja.
Many Japanese, Korean, Chinese(especially Japanese) changed foreign words to Hanja words at 18th~19th century.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.