I thought '모레' meant 'the day after tomorrow', but today I heard some Koreans saying '내일 모레'. I confirmed with them that they meant 'the day after tomorrow'.

Is this common? Why add the '내일' ?

• i think it just means let's meet sometime in the future, without specifying a date
    – user17915
    Oct 18, 2017 at 22:46
    @user17915 No Korean would say "내일 모레" to imply sometime in the future. It's "the day after tomorrow" for sure.
    – user7
    Oct 29, 2017 at 17:23
    "글피" means "the day after 모레" and Korean people usually say "내일 모래 글피" or "모레 글피". I don't know the reason why exactly, but I guess it's just idiomatic usage. If I hear people say "글피 만나자", I would respond, "Huh?", but if I hear people say "모레 글피 만나자", I would respond "Ah, yes.". I don't think there is any rule on this, but I would say it helps you get the clearer picture.
    – user7
    Oct 29, 2017 at 17:31

3 Answers 3

I'm Korean. I think it is to put emphasis on the meaning.

모레 < 내일 모레

If someone just says "모레 만나자! 모레 뭐할건데?", the word '모레' confuses me.

모레 and 모래(sand) have the same pronunciation.

I am Korean, and I find it very common to say "내일 모레" to mean the day after tomorrow. I say it almost everytime I need to say the day after tomorrow. It's not like there's an emphasis or anything here. It's just habitual.

In the meantime, it is totally fine to say just "모레." I don't see anything wrong with this either. It actually doesn't confuse me with 모래(sand) because I would be understanding terms in the context of time.

It's just that I happen to say "내일 모레" without thinking whenever I mean the day after tomorrow.

No, 내일 모레 is a not that definitive. It's just like an English speaker saying "tomorrow or the day after". It means they may do it but are not committing to an exact answer. I may add that 내일 모레 is quick speaking for 내일이나 모레.

If one thinks 모레 and 모래 sound the same, then you need to get a native Korean speaker to say 에 and 애 for you you can listen carefully. They are not the same.

• 내일 모레 is "the day after tomorrow", definitively. Apr 24, 2021 at 18:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.