As far as I know, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_finger is understood in Korea as a rude gesture much as it is in the rest of the world. However, some regions have more locally-understood gestures - e.g. the 'V-sign' in the UK.

Are there any hand gestures a foreigner might not be aware of that they should be careful not to make?

I was told that pointing your elbows at someone was considered rude. Although I haven't had that confirmed by anyone from Korea.
    – Chenmunka
    Oct 24 '17 at 15:09
    I think it might be rude to pat someone on the head, or touch the top of there head. Whereas in some places this might be considered endearing.
    – Mizole Ni
    Nov 2 '17 at 15:18

It's rude for someone to thrust one finger at someone's face. Here are some pictures.

In which country is this not rude? Is this acceptable in Western countries?
    – Blaszard
    Oct 20 '17 at 23:11
    한국인이 가장 민감하게 받아들이는 손 제스쳐에 대해서 이야기한 것일 뿐이에요! 오히려 ( en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_finger) 이런 제스쳐는 나이드신 한국인 분들은 잘 모르는 경우도 많아요
    – SweetSweet
    Oct 21 '17 at 6:46

The only pretty rude finger gesture which is unique in Korea that I think of is putting your thumb between your index and middle finger. It means "fxxk you".

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=image&sm=tab_jum&query=%EA%B2%80%EC%A7%80+%EC%A4%91%EC%A7%80+%EC%82%AC%EC%9D%B4+%EC%97%84%EC%A7%80#imgId=naverkin2001%7C214855471_0&vType=rollout

As far as I understand, it's rude in some other countries, but I am not 100% sure which countries.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post it here though...

(hidden for potentially offensive picture)

살인의 추억 송강호 감자 먹이기

살인의 추억 송강호 감자 먹이기

I found a QNA which explains the meaning of this gesture.

영화 살인의 추억에서 송강호가 했던 손가락욕이요 검지 밑에 엄지를 넣는

어떤 의미며 ? 정확한 명칭이 뭔가요 그건?

하~~아 ..

욕 잘 안흐는데 갈챠드릴라니 혀야것네잉

좢까쒸뻴너마

좢이나 까좝솨~~~~~~~~~~~~

입니다......

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.