Here is the sentence:

• 어제 연극 봤다며? 그 연극, 재미있다고 해서 나도 주말에 보러 갈까 하는데.
  • 그래? 난 별로였어. 연극 중간에 관객을 무대로 나오라고 할 때가 많았거드.

i think the subject in this sentence is "관객", so "관객을" is not correct; it must be "관객이", right? and i don't know the grammatical structure in the phrase "나오라고 할 때가 많았". Is this new grammatical structure, right?

관객을 and 관객이 are both correct, though I think 관객을 is more natural here.

This is a construction that corresponds to English "ask/tell/cause (someone) to do something": here, Korean usually allows both subject and object markers in the position, although in some cases one of them might be more natural than the other.

Sometimes "-에게" is also allowed (e.g., "to tell (someone) to...").

선생님은 철수를/철수에게 앞으로 나오라고 했다. = The teacher told Chulsoo to come forward.

선생님은 철수가 앞으로 나오라고 했다. = (same, though it feels like the teacher emphasized none other than Chulsoo should come forward.)

선생님은 철수가/철수에게 칠판을 지우게 했다. = The teacher made Chulsoo erase the board.

선생님은 철수를 칠판을 지우게 했다. = (same but less natural, probably because we have two consecutive -를?)

그는 그 프로젝트가/프로젝트를 실패하도록 방치했다. = He abandoned the project to fail.

Back to the sentence in the question, the hidden subject is clearly 배우들 (actors). So,

연극 중간에 [(배우들이) 관객을 무대로 나오라고 할] 때가 많았거든.

= During the play, there were many times when [the actors asked the audience to come up to the stage].

= During the play, the actors would keep asking the audience to come up to the stage.

• Your explaination is very clear. Thank you so much!
    – Thai Trinh
    Oct 13 '17 at 2:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.