I'm making a to-do list and want to add 'Study a little Korean every day' on it, but I want to write it in Hangul. Would it be like this: 조금 한극어 하루하루 공부하다? (I'm a beginner, sorry if this is wildly wrong)

My (native Korean) wife suggests: 한국말을 매일 조금씩 공부한다

Here are a couple of things that a Korean-as-second-language learner might share, even if they require tweaking from another native speaker:

1. 하루하루 is "everyday" or perhaps more like "day in/day out", yes, but it's more difficult to put into play than the more common 매일. "Study every day!" should be 매일 공부해...you might use 하루하루 like this: 하루하루가 즐겁다..."day in and day out things are enjoyable".

2. The conjugated infinitive form of an action verb (like "study") must end in 한다 not 하다. 공부하다 is the "dictionary form" but cannot be used outside of...the dictionary. In the case of the descriptive verb 즐겁다, there is no ㄴ/는 added during conjugation.

3. is like methodology...so when you say "give me a little" you might say 조금 주세요 but in specifying your methodology about how you will study you need to 조금씩 to be specific and clear about that.

If I am not wrong, it should be spelled 조금씩. – Taladris Sep 4 '17 at 4:21
  • @Taladris thanks, I updated it. I always appreciate input. – 제이 죤스톤 Sep 7 '17 at 22:32
  • "한국어를" seems to be more natural than "한국말을". if you want to use "한국말을" , then "한국 말을" is correct. (spacing) – LifeOnTheMoon May 31 '18 at 20:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.