In English, we create lists like what I've written below.

Things to do:

• Buy a broom
  • Eat a sandwich
  • Call my brother

Is the same kind of list done in Korean? If so, how?

Edit: I'm also looking for formatting and punctuation. Is the same list formatting and punctuation used for listing things?

• Possibly using the 으(ㅁ) style final verb ending?
    – B. Alvn
    Jul 18 '17 at 0:21
  • @B.Alvn (으)ㅁ final verb ending is never put in a to-do list, as using (으)ㅁ would imply the stuff has been done Jul 19 '17 at 17:52

I am not a native speaker, but I believe these would be done with the -기 nominalization form:

• 빗자루 사기
  • 샌드위치 먹기
  • 형에게 전화하기
  • 형에게 전화하기 would be more natural
    – nglee
    Jul 18 '17 at 23:36
    @nglee thanks, I just updated it. Not sure why I left off the -에게. I think I was just trying to be brief in a list. Jul 18 '17 at 23:42
  • Do Koreans use different list formats or punctuation? Jul 21 '17 at 17:56
    @LanceClark They use numbered or bulleted lists similar to English. Jul 22 '17 at 22:00
  • This is very natural and almost right. But native Koreans don't use a word '비' as the meaning of broom. It can be confused with another homonym 비(rain). So, it would be better to translate broom into '빗자루'.
    – jungyh0218
    Jul 27 '17 at 4:47

In addition to ryanbrainard's answer, sometimes "-할 것" is also used. It has a stronger feeling: "should do X!"

In this style, the list would be:

• 비 살 것
  • 샌드위치 먹을 것
  • 형에게 전화할 것
  • Do Koreans use different list formats or punctuation? Jul 21 '17 at 17:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.