I can understand why when ㄷ ㅌ ㅊ and ㅈ are in the 받침 since they require a stop to be pronounced, but I don't understand why when ㅅ or ㅆ are in the 받침, they are pronounced as a stop since they don't require one. Is there a reason behind this rule? Or maybe some historical reason? Thanks in advance.

• I'm asking the why, not the when. – Okoyos Jul 9 '17 at 16:22
  • If you know why that's the case for ㅈ, you should also know why for ㅅ – 짱멋진만찢남 Jul 9 '17 at 16:24
  • ㅈ is an affricate. It requires a stop before the frication. ㅅ does not. – Okoyos Jul 9 '17 at 16:28
  • Duplicate of korean.stackexchange.com/questions/75/… ? – user17915 Jul 11 '17 at 2:26
    Consonants in Korean have different phonetic value according to their position. In medieval Korean, a single consonant ㅅ was used as a genitive case marker. Now it is disappeared, and it was substituted by 받침. But even historians or linguists don't know the exact reason yet. – jungyh0218 Jul 12 '17 at 8:42

Korean syllables may only end in single stops, either nasal or non-nasal stops, or in vowels. This is a defining feature of modern Korean phonotactics. Even if the hangeul shows two consonants, only one gets to be pronounced (think of nouns like 값 and 닭).

Both ㅅ and ㅆ are fricatives, so do not have plosive stops as components, unlike ㅊ and ㅈ. However, we must remember that a stop is not necessary a plosive. A plosive is a stop that has a release; in the case of ㅊ ㅈ the release is a fricative /s/ rather than a release burst like ㄷ ㅌ, so it is an affricate rather than a plosive.

However, if at the end of a syllable we do not release any of these consonants ㄷ ㅌ ㅊ ㅈ ㅅ ㅆ, we notice that they all have the same place of articulation (call it coronal, call it dental-alveolar, whatever), despite the fact that they would have very different releases. But because of the stopped, unreleased nature of Korean final non-nasal stops, the release does not matter; only the place of articulation of the consonant does.

| improve this answer | |
    Dang, I don't know what you really said, but this answer is incredibly awesome nonetheless...and I thought this group was about dead too. Nice job! Maybe I should start hanging around more :)) – B. Alvn Jul 14 '17 at 11:27
  • @B.Alvn Plenty of people still hanging around - I think what we need to make the site come to life is more questions! :) – topo Reinstate Monica Aug 14 '17 at 23:20
  • ok i will start asking more – B. Alvn Aug 17 '17 at 7:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.