I am working on an art project that I would like to collect the hundreds of different transliterations of 「中文」 zhōng wén in Mandarin Chinese. (Pronunciation available here: https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/de/中文)

How can I transliterate zhōng wén in Korean? (For example, "zhong wen" would be the closest pronunciation in English.)

• Just for clarification do you want a Korean alphabet which helps Korean to learn Mandarin? I.e. 管理 => 관 리, 今天 => 찐톈 – 짱멋진만찢남 Apr 1 '17 at 1:26

There is a standard for that, established by the National Institute of the Korean Language.

According to that, zhōngwén should be transliterated to "종원".

ㅈ/ㅅ is used for pinyin "zh/sh", and ㅉ/ㅆ is used for pinyin "z/s".

| improve this answer | |
  • Things are usually easier with established standards, but with an established pinyin system, I reckon there will be trouble finding transliterations for languages written in the Latin alphabet. – Kevin Li Apr 11 '17 at 12:38
  • @KevinLi What do you mean? – MujjinGun Apr 11 '17 at 13:08
  • Example: to an Italian, the sound would be spelled “giogn uen”. – Kevin Li Apr 11 '17 at 13:55

U mean listen to the sound that you linked and write it down in Korean, right?

If so, I think "쭝원" would be the closest pronunciation in Korean.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.