I thought 요 was only a verb ending, and my textbook did not introduce adding it to all sorts of parts of speech, which I hear regularly in Korea. From the well-known 저도요 to 이렇게요, noun + 요 etc. Is that actually grammatically correct?

• I think you can add '요' to make honorific form in case you don't know what to add. But basically, there are some exceptions not to use 요.
    – Ting Choe
    Mar 7 '17 at 16:11

No, you can't add it to everything. For example you can't add it certain (for lack of a better word) 'standard' endings such as (스)ㅂ니다, (십)시오, (으)ㅂ시다, (어/아/여)라, (는)구나, 게, (이)오, and a few things like that.

But you can add it to a lot of things.

By the way, when you add it to a noun, you should use 이요 after a consonsant ending.

• Which things exactly? And I heard 이렇게요 for sure Mar 5 '17 at 9:12
  • 요 can be added after ㅂ니다, that's a funny honorific expression used by native speakers. Mar 5 '17 at 11:51
  • -ㅂ니다요 is possible but would sound very archaic (and/or funny). I think I've only heard them in historical dramas (사극).
    – jick
    Mar 6 '17 at 1:19
  • 이렇게 is not the 게 i'm talking about...이렇게 is an adverb that means "like this" or "in this way" ...the 게 i'm talking about is an imperative (command) ending that is a little old fashioned but still used among men in some settings. Beyond the list I gave and few other endings that are kind of old-fashioned, I think you can add 요 or 이요 to anything.
    – B. Alvn
    Mar 6 '17 at 16:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.