I have kind of an awkward situation. I asked my Korean friend to correct my sentence. And she did, but she used a word that I can't understand. I looked it up in Naver, but there is no such word. Could you help me out?

My original sentence was:

금방 잠자더라도 잠 잘 못 할 거예요.

I was corrected:

바로 잠을 청하려해도 잠에 들지 못할거예요.

So I saw this 청하려하다 word. Naver only has the following:

잠을 청하게 하다

And it means "to induce sleep."

Could you tell me the meaning of her original word?

청하다 usually means 'to ask', e.g for a favor.

However, 잠을 청하다, to 'ask for the favour of sleep', has the idiomatic meaning of 'to try to sleep'.

So 바로 잠을 청하려해도 잠에 들지 못할거예요 means 'if I try to sleep right now, I won't be able to fall asleep'.

• But.. why did she used 청하려하다. what is -려하다 grammar part means? Is it a contraction of 청하려고 하다? – LexRomah Feb 24 '17 at 9:54
    @LexRomah Yes, it's the same meaning as 려고 하다 - to intend to do something. As you can see here, the '고' is optional. 잠을 청하려 하다 seems almost tautological - it's a bit like "to try to try to sleep" or "to intend to try to sleep". – topo Reinstate Monica Feb 24 '17 at 11:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.