http://www.koreanlanguagenerd.com/grammarindex/vs1 suggests that both ㄹ 거에요 and ㄹ 거예요 can be correct, and have slightly different meanings - it states that:

The main difference is that the future tense uses 거에요. As in 저는 할 거에요. I will do it.

and gives examples:

네일은 추울거에요. Tomorrow will be cold. 추울 거예요. It might be cold.

However, I don't really understand the explanation, and other sources (e.g. https://www.italki.com/question/301014?hl=ko) seem to say that 거예요 is correct, as it's a contraction of ㄹ 것 이에요. That makes more sense to me...

are both ㄹ 거에요 and ㄹ 거예요 correct? If so, do they mean different things as suggested in the koreanlanguagenerd article?

Regarding before a noun...that does give it a future tense. So in short, they are both equal in their future tense and the noun that is modified into a future tense is , also abbreviated here.

The real ponderance is ~에요 vs 예요, and I'm going to quite happily do a potentially errant job of translating the important parts of that page:

'예요'는 '이에요'를 줄인 형태이다. 서술격조사 '이-'가 붙는 말 뒤에는 '-에요', 아니면 '예요'가 온다. 동사나 형용사도 '-에요'가 온다.

예요 is 이에요, just in abbreviated form. What is happening here is that after either 에요 or 이에요 is suffixed. In the case of both action verbs and descriptive verbs 에요 is the result.

The page goes on to show three types of usage pattern:

받침이 있는 명사 뒤에서: '이에요'를 쓴다. 줄어든 형태 '예요'를 쓰면 틀림. (예: 책상이다 ➡ 책상이에요.)

With syllables that end in a consonant, use 이에요. It is incorrect to abbreviate to 예요.

(Example: 책상이다 ➡ 책상이에요)

받침이 없는 명사 뒤에서 '예요'를 쓴다. 줄지 않은 '이에요'를 쓰면 틀림. (예: 의자다 ➡ 의자예요.)

With syllables that do not end in a consonant, use 예요. It is incorrect to use 이에요.

(Example: 의자다 ➡ 의자예요)

동사나 형용사 뒤에서: '-에요'를 쓴다. (예 : 아니다 ➡ 아니에요.)

Following a verb (action or descriptive) use 에요.

(Example: 아니다 ➡ 아니에요)

So in the case of

뭔가를 할것이다

We have a noun that ends in a consonant: 뭔가를 할 것 이에요.

But in the abbreviated as

뭔가를 할거다 (awkward, no?)

Our noun has no consonant: 뭔가를 할 거예요.

Answer (and source)

-ㄹ 거에요 is incorrect.

-ㄹ 거예요 is correct because the noun has no 받침.

• Nice background, but this doesn't really answer the question, does it? – ryanbrainard Feb 22 '17 at 10:12
  • i'll clarify then – 제이 죤스톤 Feb 22 '17 at 12:19
    +1 This is a very good answer. Even native Korean speakers often don't know when to use 에요 and when to use 예요. – Jeonghyeon Lee Feb 23 '17 at 12:53
    뭔가를 할 거다 doesn't sound awkward, and in fact is actually more commonly said than 뭔가를 할 것이다 in spoken Korean in my opinion. But it does read awkward, since in written Korean, people would habitually write 뭔가를 할 것이다 instead of 뭔가를 할 거다 almost all the time. This is just my opinion though. – Jeonghyeon Lee Feb 23 '17 at 13:15
  • @jeonghyeonlee Agreed on writing 할 것이다 and saying 할 거다 - that helps me understand the oddness i was feeling as i wrote that, but then how fluid it sounds when i say 할 거다 - and thank you for the compliment, though the glory belongs to namu.wiki – 제이 죤스톤 Feb 23 '17 at 16:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.