I started learning korean and the book shows c/j as enter image description here, while in other online resources I found it as

Is this the same, only the first is handwritten version and the second is print version?

I found other letters (for eg. "h") that are also written differently. Please explain this.

Yeah, just different fonts. Don't they look similar enough? – spicypumpkin Feb 21 '17 at 14:20
  • Your second example is just the letter ㅈ in text form, so people will see the shape from the fonts installed in their computer, which is not necessarily the shape you're seeing on your computer... – jick Feb 22 '17 at 1:16
  • As others said, it's just a difference in the font. This is really common when first learning and also shows itself when learning different kinds of handwriting. The TTMIK Hangul Master book has a nice section that covers different fonts and handwritings if you want to see morr variations: mykoreanstore.com/products/hangeul-master-book – ryanbrainard Feb 22 '17 at 10:16

Those two letters are the same letter - they just look different in different fonts. Also, in some fonts, like 바탕체 you can see both forms - the first (ㅈ) when it's in the 받침 (bottom of the syllable) and the second when it's in the top of the syllable.

It is usually transliterated as j - that's how the Revised Romanization handles it, but the older McCune–Reischauer transliterates it as 'ch', and I've seen linguistics papers that transliterate it as just 'c'.

Those are the same letter in different fonts, as already mentioned.

However, the real answer to your question is Korean has no representation of the letter "j" or any other letter from the English alphabet. This kind of thinking will lead you astray and create bad habits.

I remember after about 6 months of studying Korean, when I first got kind of serious about listening to the language and suddenly realizing this fact. I was blown away..nothing sounded like it "was supposed to"...at all. There are no sounds that are precisely identical, although some are fairly close. Remember that.

They are totally the same except the shape. ㅊ and ㅎ are examples of other letters that can have different shapes. Some people write them with the upper line being vertical, rather than horizontal. Anyway they are totally the same except a little difference in shape.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.