I am trying to translate the following:

Can the expression "몇 살 먹었다" be used only among friends, or can I use it with people I met recently who I don't know well?

Here is my attempt:

몇 살 먹었다 라는 칠문은 친구들과만 사용할 수 있어? 좀전에 잘 모르는 만난 사람과 이 말 사용해도 돼?

But I don't know how to say it in a natural way. Could you please correct me?

• "몇 살 먹었냐"라는 질문은 친구들한테만 사용할 수 있어? 전에 잘 모르거나 오래만에 안 만난 사람한테 이 말을 해도 되겠어? – Incredibly HandSome Samuel Feb 18 '17 at 14:01

A native speaker I asked suggested only small changes:

"몇 살 먹었다" 라는 질문은 친구들에게만 사용할 수 있어? 아니면 좀 전에 만난 잘 모르는 사람에게 이 말을 사용해도 돼?

• added quotes to match the usage of '라는' (or if you don't want to use quotes, you could say 몇 살 먹었냐는 질문)
  • corrected 칠문 to 질문
  • added 아니면 as a more explicit 'or'
  • put '좀 전에 만난' together to make the meaning clearer
  • changed 과 to 에게, as that's more appropriate for asking a question
  • 네, 알겠습니다! 정말 감사합니다! – LexRomah Feb 18 '17 at 16:18
  • 친구들과만 is a little bit awkward, I suppose. [몇 살 먹었다는 질문] is weird because "몇살 먹었다" is not form of question. [for asking a question] is ambiguous explanation . I think it's not a big deal but to be more exact, it should be [for using the words to someone]. I mean, the point of "에게" in this sentence is "to". I agree the other analysis. – Ting Choe Feb 18 '17 at 16:52
  • @TINGCHOE maybe I should say '친구들에게만' to be consistent? – topo Reinstate Monica Feb 18 '17 at 17:02
    친구들에게만 is good to hear. – Ting Choe Feb 18 '17 at 17:06
  • @TINGCHOE though I can see that "몇 살 먹었다" isn't itself a question, I assumed that "몇 살 먹었다" 라는 질문 made sense because it's a kind of 'infinitive' or 기본형, which would become a question when you add the question endings? I could be wrong. – topo Reinstate Monica Feb 18 '17 at 17:08

"몇 살 먹었다" 라는 표현은 친구들[하고만or한테만] 사용할 수 있어? 아니면 좀 전에 만나서 잘 모르는 사람[에게or한테] 이 말 사용해도 돼?

*"몇 살 먹었다" is not 질문.

You can ask someone's age like

1. 몇 살이세요?
  2. 연세가 어떻게 되세요?

"연세" is honorifics of "나이". So 2. is more polite expression. Both are already honorifics so you can use for everyone.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.