I am currently reading a book in Korean about clouds. It teaches words such as 쌘비구름, 털구름... apparently these are the pure Korean words for types of clouds (in brackets below...)

Image from http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=steadypal&logNo=220473617802

A native Korean I was speaking to hadn't heard of some of these terms. I was wondering how commonly-used the pure Korean words are compared to the Chinese-derived ones? (I do understand that these neither of these sets of words will be frequently-used in general conversation).

• I am not sure about the usage of these words, but wouldn't it be similar to English speakers not even knowing the words for each type of cloud? I imagine there exist native Korean speakers that don't know what it is simply because they hadn't learned about all the types of clouds there are.
    – Amacelia
    Jan 30 '17 at 23:24
    @Amacelia probably... though my sample of one native Korean was familiar with the other terms (적란운, 고적운, etc), so I'm wondering if I should focus on learning those instead of the ones in the book...
    – topo morto
    Jan 30 '17 at 23:46

About as common as they are in English.. I personally don't know those words (except that 적란운 sounds very familiar for some weird reason), and I've never heard these terms being tossed around in conversations.

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood your question. If I remember correctly, cloud names were a part of our middle school curriculum and we were mostly taught with the Chinese-based names. (Korean names were more like fun facts). Even to this date I'm pretty sure Chinese-based names are preferred over Korean ones in academia when such options are available.

• Sorry, I was asking how common the Korean words are compared to the Chinese-derived words - have edited the question to clarify. I assume at least one set must be used when these are studied in school?
    – topo morto
    Jan 31 '17 at 7:04
    I also remember learning the Chinese character version back in middle school. To me, Korean names don't really sound familiar. Jan 31 '17 at 7:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.