I came across the sentence below in Naver which serves as a definition to the '-ㄹ래' 어미.

해할 자리에 쓰여, 장차 어떤 일을 하려고 하는 스스로의 의사를 나타내거나 상대편의 의사를 묻는 데 쓰이는 종결 어미.

I broke the definition into 4 simple sentences to understand it better.

1. '-ㄹ래'는 종결 어미이다.
  2. '-ㄹ래'를 해할 자리에 쓰이다.
  3. 장차 어떤 일을 하려고 하는 스스로의 의사를 나타내는 데 '-ㄹ래'를 쓴다.
  4. 상대편의 의사를 묻는 데 '-ㄹ래'를 쓴다.

However, I still need some examples in which '-ㄹ래' is used as explained in (3) and (4) to tell the difference.

I'm a South Korean.

"해할 자리에 쓰여, 장차 어떤 일을 하려고 하는 스스로의 의사를 나타내거나 상대편의 의사를 묻는 데 쓰이는 종결 어미."

This sentence is quite difficult to understand even for me. We normally don't study Korean like this.

Anyways, I want to give you some examples.
(3) 나 밥 먹을래 : I wanna/will eat a meal.
(4) 너 밥 먹을래? : Do you want to have a meal?

(3) 나 집에 갈래 : I wanna/will go home. -
(4) 우리 집에 갈래? : Do you want to visit my house? (Actually 우리=나 here, we call my house 우리 집, not 나 집)

(3) 나 죽을래 : I will kill myself (we never say like this. but for practicing.)
(4) 너 죽을래? : Do you wanna die? (we use it a lot. hmm... difficult to explain. Googling it. Sorry.)

So far, (3) and (4) is almost the same.
For (3), the agent always is me. In (4), the agent is the other person (not me).
When you speak, you have to finish the end of the sentence with high tone(high pitch) in case (4). On the other hand, maintain tone when you speak (3) case.

My English is not so good. If there are parts you don't understand, reply again please. Or correct my sentence, please.

• @HusainAbdali Welcome. You might wanna forget about the grammar stuff. '해할자리', '종결어미' these words are used by linguists. Common people don't care about these. It could be an obstacle for learning. Haha. In my opinion..... – Ting Choe Jan 23 '17 at 4:52
    @TINGCHOE Unless you are a Linguistics Enthusiast, dear – Husain Abdali Jan 23 '17 at 4:57
    I edited accepting yours. It can be both according to situations. – Ting Choe Jan 24 '17 at 13:40
    @B.Alvn Well.... Both ~려고 하다 and ㄹ래 are one's intention. I think they are the same. ~기로 하다 is an promise, appointment, plan or one's intention. It's stronger than those because you should keep the promise. As you know, it can varies depending on the situation. – Ting Choe Jan 24 '17 at 13:45
    @B.Alvn Okay. Ty for English lecture, man~ – Ting Choe Jan 24 '17 at 13:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.