Naver defines 대명사 as

사람이나 사물의 이름을 대신 나타내는 말.

What role does 대신 play in the above sentence? According to the dictionary it is always a noun. I need your help to understand the sentence structure.

Topo morto's example shows the basic form:

그 대신 제가 가겠습니다. (I will go instead of [as a substitute for] him.)

Notice:

1. 대신 is, or works like, an adverb (as other answers have said).
  2. 대신 takes an object, i.e. 그. ("Object" may not be a term of formal grammar.)

On item 1, consider:

• The time we were in Spain, I didn't know you that well.
  • The work of his life done, he retired.

They can become

• At the time we were in Spain, . . .
  • With the work of his life done, . . .

Similarly we can fill things in:

대신하여 제가 가겠습니다.

Note: I am not suggesting that the three examples have the same grammatical analysis. Just illustrating how what looks like a noun can work like something else, to make the idea more palatable.

On item 2, if you have a transitive verb in place of 가겠습니다, you may get something like:

그를 대신하여 제가 일을 하겠습니다. (Instead of him, I will do the work.)

As for your phrase:

사람이나 사물의 이름을 대신 나타내는 말

Converting it to:

대명사는 사람이나 사물의 이름을 대신(하여) 나타낸다.

you can see that it is ambiguous.

One possibility is that 나타낸다 has an object, but 대신하여 does not. I.e., the sentence means:

A pronoun, as a substitute (of what?), represents the name of a person or thing.

The second possibility is the opposite. 대신하여 has an object. 나타낸다 does not.

A pronoun, as a substitute of the name of a person or thing, represents (what?).

The full sentence may go:

대명사는 사람이나 사물의 이름을 대신(하여) 그 사람이나 사물을 나타낸다.
(A pronoun, as a substitute for the name of a person or thing, represents that person or thing.)

The original, ambiguous phrase is somewhat sloppy. That may have given you trouble in addition to 대신, supposedly a noun, working like something else.

You may also dispute the idea that a pronoun acts as a substitute for any name. If you say:

I met a blind beggar, and he said I should be king.

You don't care what his name was, and he is not a substitute for any name. But this is not a Korean language question.

연상 부사 is a conjuctive adverb. It's poses as an adverb but acts to combine two phrases/words.

I should point out, you can supplant the word 'instead' in most cases including this one.

I learned the idiom 꿩대신닭 which means to expect something good but not get it. 'chicken instead of quail'.

• Could you please elaborate more by providing some examples and references? – Husain Abdali Jan 14 '17 at 19:13
  • I've had 꿩대신닭 my whole life, I think! – topo Reinstate Monica Jan 15 '17 at 0:24

As naver dictionary says, it can be a 명사 (noun), in which case it means something like a 'stand-in' or 'substitute'. More commonly, it's a 부사 (adverb) meaning 'instead', 'instead of', 'in the place of':

대신 홍차를 주세요 - Give me tea instead.

그 대신 제가 가겠습니다 - I will go in his place.

Having said that, your definition for '대명사' (pronoun) is slightly difficult to translate word for word in English without introducing a tautology, because 나타내는 has a similar meaning of 'representing' or 'representative'. Perhaps you could say "A representative word used instead of the name of a person or thing".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.