In English, if something is 'in front of the shop', it is outside the shop at the front side.

If it's 'at the front of the shop', it's at the front side, but could be outside or inside.

Can '아이스크림은 가게 앞에 있어요' be valid for both the case when the ice creams are outside and when they are inside?

If so, what's the shortest way to unambiguously say 'in front of' and 'inside, at the front'?

In English, the differentiation is both in the preposition in and in the absence or presence of the.

Korean uses context to disambiguate, but the default context with 가게 앞 is outside the shop at the front side. This may not be the same for all nouns, and it is a matter of "assumed cultural" semantic knowledge to know which refers to which.

There is the word 앞쪽 which more often than not refers to the "fore" of an object. I'd put it with something to disambiguate the interior of the shop, something like 가게 안, usually in a separate clause (가게 안으로 가서...).

If you're feeling particularly literary and want something really condensed, 점내(店內) is a Sino-Korean word of rather low frequency for "the interior of the shop". Best suited to the written word, if you ask me.

I believe ".. 앞" almost always means "in front of".

I think maybe you could use it to mean "at the front section of" if the context makes it really clear, but I can't think of a good example right now.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.