I often heard a word to apologize in ancient style drama series. Its pronunciation is similar to 송과하옵니다. However the dictionary tells me that 송과 is 松果 which is a fruit.

1. What is the correct spelling of the word I am looking for?

2. Is it still used in modern time?

• Thanks for this. I had been watching some Korean period dramas and had the exact same question. Krim, I'm happy you asked the question and Jick's answerful was helpful! Thanks!!
    – Redleaf14
    Jan 6, 2022 at 6:34

1 Answer 1

Correct one is 송구 . It is still used today, mostly in more formal situations. Note it is more often combined with -스럽다, as in 송구스럽습니다 (vs. 미안합니다) or 송구스럽게도 일이 XX하게 되었습니다 (vs. 미안하게도 ...).

• So in the past people use 송구하다, but now 송구스럽다, right?
    – user237
    Nov 24, 2016 at 5:16
  • 송구하다 is still used, but as an adjective (meaning "to feel sorry"), just not as a stand-alone expression of apology. E.g., 송구한 마음을 금할 길이 없습니다 would be a fancy way of saying "There is no way I can keep my mind from feeling sorry." Google "송구한 마음" if you want more examples.
    – jick
    Nov 27, 2016 at 0:58
    As for ancient style drama (사극), please keep in mind that they don't actually use Old Korean: they merely use a highly stylized version of modern Korean that sounds ancient. If they actually used the authentic Old Korean spoken in the era depicted in the drama, no modern viewers would understand them.
    – jick
    Nov 27, 2016 at 1:01
    Along with jick's excellent answer, I want to add that this highly stylized Korean that sounds ancient often involves 하오-type endings (하오체). Taking this into account, I believe that OP's example - 송과합니다 is, in fact, a mishearing from 송구하옵니다.
    – krim
    Nov 27, 2016 at 2:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.