A question that occurred to me while asking this one...

동사 (action verbs), 형용사 (adjectives or descriptive verbs), and 이다 (the 'copula') all broadly accept 'verb endings', e.g.

가다 : 갑니다

예쁘다 : 예쁩니다

이다: 입니다

Is there a word (Korean or English) to collectively describe 'words that you can add verb endings on to'? Maybe I mean something like 'conjugatable'.

1 Answer 1


Usually the word "용언" is used to mean words that can be followed by verb / adjective endings (which are called 어미 in Korean); the opposite is "체언", for words that cannot be followed by 어미.

용언 include verbs (동사), adjectives (형용사) and the copula (sometimes called 지정사; this includes both the clitic -이다 and the word 아니다).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.