Why do I need to use silent letter in word 몽골 (Mongol)? Can I use 모골 instead? In general, when to use ?

This question lacks self-research efforts and reads too basic and its answer could be found in any dictionary or internet websites such as howtostudykorean.com/unit0 and learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean/Korean%20-%20Lesson%201.htm.
    – user7
    Sep 24 '16 at 9:31
    Please try to learn how to read and write using readily available resources on the internet as listed in the above comment and ask a question specifically after you master reading and writing Hangeul. I don't think it is that difficult.
    – user7
    Sep 24 '16 at 9:33
  • Hi vico - I'm afraid this is off-topic for the reasons Rathony mentioned. We now have our on-topic page available - it wan't there when you posted, so don't worry! I hope the answer already posted here is helpful.
    – topo morto
    Sep 24 '16 at 14:39

As you probably know, Korean letters are arranged in blocks. Most blocks are two or three letters, either:

• consonant-vowel - e.g.:

가, 고

• consonant, vowel, consonant - e.g.:

목, 막

is silent when it is the first consonant in a block. So if you want a block's sound to start with a vowel, you must write the block starting with ㅇ. an example is the 안 ('an') in '안녕'

When 'ㅇ' is the last in a block, as in 몽, it is not silent. It is a velar nasal, or 'ng' sound. So if you want a block's sound to end in 'ng' - like the 'mong' in 몽골 - then you can use the 'ㅇ' for that purpose.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.