So I see different forms in Korean to express the meaning "more and more", for instance:

더욱더 풍성해졌습니다 -> become more and more thrive.

더욱더, 더더욱, 더욱, 더욱이, 더욱더욱 seemed to be expressing the same thing. How can I determine when to use which or did I misunderstand something?

I think they are mostly equivalent in general, though 더더욱 and 더욱더 might express more emphasis (still not a real difference.) I don't think 더욱더욱 is used. – krim Sep 17 '16 at 15:47
  • "More and more" is an English language phrase I hear Koreans use more than native English speakers. I wonder what Korean ESL textbooks translated as "more and more..." – Leftium Sep 19 '16 at 0:24

In order to make Korean SE a sole 100% answered site on Stack Exchange, this question needs answering.

They don't mean the same thing at all.

The adverbs '' and '더욱' are synonymous meaning:

정도나 수준 따위가 한층 심하거나 높게. (Literally) More or higher in degree or level.

They all can be translated to 'more' in English.

However, '더욱이' has a different meaning:

그러한 데다가 더. (Literally) In addition to what has been mentioned.

You can't use '더욱이' in place of '더' and '더욱'.

As @krim mentioned, '더더욱' and '더욱더' are used to emphasize '더욱' and they mean:

‘더욱’을 강조하여 이르는 말. A word emphasizing '더욱'.

The word '더욱더욱' could be different from 더, 더욱, 더더욱, 더욱더 as its focus is on progress.

Which one to use will depend on what you try to mean.

| improve this answer | |
  • "In order to make Korean SE a sole 100% answered site on Stack Exchange" - a laudable goal. Do you know if closed questions count towards those stats? – topo Reinstate Monica Sep 20 '16 at 11:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.