In Korean, the simplest way to express 'from A to B' is no doubt 'A부터 B까지', or '부터' could be replaced by '에서' as in "A에서 B까지'.

However, this requires adding a particle to both nouns. Is there a single word that I can use, without necessarily acting as a particle, to express the same meaning in the following sentence:

서울에서 부산까지 몇 킬로(미터)입니까? How many kilometers (How far) is it from Seoul to Busan?

That is, I am looking to change 'A부터 B까지' to an interchangeable structure such as "A (a particle) B," just like we can do with 'A와 B' -> 'A 및 B' and 'A나 B' -> 'A 또는 B'.

Can you give an example sentence of what "multilingual stuffs" might be?
    – msg45f
    Aug 23 '16 at 14:30
  • @msg45f ignore my situation and could you tell me if there is a word which can express the same meaning? Aug 23 '16 at 16:36
  • I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but it's hard to prove a negative.
    – gaeguri
    Aug 24 '16 at 11:58

I haven't seen such kind of expressions that always refer to preposition 'to' in one word.

'To' is basically '조사[助詞]' and one 조사 follows only one noun. So "A to B" cannot be like A 와 B.

과/와/랑/이랑/하고/및/ are conjunction(접속사), so they are different to 조사.

• I don't think your post answers the question. What do you mean by "only B is dependent on 'to' in structure 'A to B'" and "to think chunks in smaller size" and "each can be used even without the other though there is a standard form as you know"?
    – user7
    Aug 24 '16 at 6:31

I am not sure there is a way, unfortunately. If, as you said, 부터/까지 is the easiest, why not just use that? 학교에서 집까지 얼마나 걸입니까? Nothing else is mandatory there.

(1)

It takes 3 hours from Seoul to Busan by a car.

(A) 서울에서 부산까지 차로 3시간 걸린다.

It takes 13 hours between Seoul and Washington by an airplane.

(B) 서울과 워싱턴은 (=서울과 워싱턴 사이는) 비행기로 13시간이다.

@ I believe that people are familiar to say after indicating a standard point (cf (A)).

Sometimes, in private blog or homepage, we can see a sentence like (B) in article introducing his private thing and not focusing on tour information.

(2) Add

볼링핀들 사이 간격은 좁다. It is narrow between bowling pins

지척에 있는 (=아주 가까이 있는) 구봉산과 엄광산. Very small distance between Gubong Mt and Umkwang Mt.

적과의 거리는 걸어서 하루 걸린다. From here to enemy, it takes a day by a walk.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.